Saturday, January 1, 2011

Apple Almond Crisp



Hello to the New Year of 2011!  What do we have in store for baking now?  Probably leaning towards the ‘healthy’ version of baking I hope.  My honey tells me to stop baking for awhile so he can stop eating sweets.  It would be a done deal if he’d agree to give up basketball on the weekends.  But I guess he too cannot give up his hobby.  Therefore, baking apples, here I come!

Apples are abundance in the market and although a lovely warm apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream seems like a classic idea and delicious.  It shouldn’t be consider if I’m about to begin my new year with a fresh start.  So, I am going to make an Apple-Almond Crisp.  I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I do.

Apple Almond Crisp

Filling
½ Cup – Premium Organic Sugar
1 ½ Tbsp – AP Flour
1 tsp – Lemon Zest
1 tsp – Ground Cinnamon
½ tsp – Ground Nutmeg
4 small – Granny Smith Apples, cored and sliced (can use any apples of your choosing, but granny works best due to its tartness)
1 tsp – Vanilla Extract
½ tsp – Almond Extract

Almond Topping
¾ Cup – AP Flour
¼ Cup – Packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp – Ground Cinnamon
6 Tbsp – Cold Butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
¼ Cup – Sliced Almonds

Slice Apples, then toss with all the filling ingredients.

Arrange apple fillings on desired bowl/dish, refrigerate.

Mix AP Flour, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, pinch of Salt.

Add 1/2" cube butter and combined until butter are size of peas.  Do not over mix.  
Then, add the almonds and toss.

 Sprinkle Almond Topping onto the apple fillings.
Bake @ 350F until apples are tender (35-45 minutes).


No comments:

Post a Comment