Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins


I recently went to Whole Foods at the Pasadena store to buy some unsweetened shredded coconut for my Mom (she loves making Mochi). Whole Foods is one of the stores that carry affordable and high quality products/ingredients.  I love the idea of being able to purchase certain ingredients by the amount I prefer and there’s no fancy packaging involved (we save a lot with less packaging process).  Then, I came across with their cornmeal.  Cornmeal typically comes in different texture.  Our general grocery store usually carries the coarser texture.  Guess what I discovered in Whole Foods?  They carry a finer texture of cornmeal!  My dad recently bought fresh blueberries from his work and I came across this recipe my Professor had email me.  It is called, “Double Corny Blueberry Muffins.”  Since I do not have fresh roasted corn on hand, I simply doubled my blueberries.  I hope you enjoy the recipe adapted from Chef Robert Wemischner (www.robertwemischner.com).

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
Yield: 12 Muffins

For the light streusel topping:
4 ounces (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
2 ounces (generous 1/4 cup) granulated sugar
2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut up into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
Pinch salt

For the batter:
3.6 ounces (3/4 cup) – all-purpose flour 
3.6 ounces (scant cup) – cake flour
2.8 ounces (scant 1/2 cup) – yellow cornmeal
4 ounces (generous 1/2 cup) – granulated sugar
1/2 t. – salt
1 T. baking powder
2.4 ounces (1-1/2 large) – eggs
5.6 ounces (5/8 of a cup) – milk (whole or 2%, as desired)
Generous teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 ounces (6 T.) – unsalted butter, melted
8 ounces (approximately 3/4 cup) – fresh blueberries, gently washed and dried
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Procedure:
1.        Sift altogether the dry ingredients, set aside.  In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together until well blended.  Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and lightly but thoroughly mix until all of the dries are evenly moistened.  Do not overmix.  Fold in the blueberries and mix lightly to incorporate.  Use a number 24 Ice Cream Scoop and fill in the muffin pan with one scoop.

2.       Top each muffin with an equal quantity of the streusel. Place the muffins on a heavy sheet pan set onto an oven rack positioned about halfway from the bottom of the oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer into the center of the muffin. If done, the skewer should come out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment